1. Sulav, near Amedi, in winter, just above the main road. Walk all the way up, and beyond up ancient steps perhaps used by travelers on the Silk Road . Less than an hour from Duhok.
2. Could be many places. Up along the Hamilton Road somewhere? Who can locate that irrigation channel on the right.
3. Shanidar Cave, about a 2-hour drive from Erbil , where remains of Neanderthal Man were discovered during archaeological excavations in 1957-1961. It's the site of the earliest indications of humans expressing feelings, with burial rituals that included flowers - the first flower children. See Wikipedia, and the January 1996 issue of National Geographic with its cover story on Neandertals.
4. Just below Rawanduz, before going up the zig-zag (switchback) . About 2 hours from Erbil .
5. Rawanduz, higher up in the background.
6. From an historical ruin on a hill across the way. Rawanduz, triangular, with deep chasms on two sides and Korek mountain on the third (back). When going up the zig-zag, on one of the left curves there is a road that goes straight and when you come to a road going to the left, take it. Go ahead a ways and stop at a sidewalk on the left where there is no railing where there should be. When the coyote chasing the roadrunner runs off the cliff, turns around, waves goodbye, and plummets into a silent puff of dust at the bottom, this is the place. Also known locally as Lover's Leap.
7. Chasm on the left side of Rawanduz.
8. Haj Omran, early 1990s, looking back from the Iraq-Iran border.
9. Warte village, in summer - stick your feet in the water and cool off.
11. Up along the Hamilton Road somewhere?
12. Sere Amedi, above Amedi. The road starts near Sulav and goes to Kani Mase, very rough in places but well worth the effort. Along the road, down on the left (going up) there is a spring with six trees. This is the place. In the "old days" the British had an military officers' hideaway up in this area. Trust the British.
13. Duhok Lake, with the dam to the right.
14. Duhok Lake
15. Along the road from Spilik, before reaching the Kahlon bridge. After the bridge, turn left towards Shanidar Cave , Rezan, Barzan. Turn right up to Bestoon Cave and over Bradost Mountain to Sardow, Sidakan, Diana-Soran.
16. From up the road to Bestoon Cave, at a pinnacle rock on the right side before going over to the other side (one of the great roads of Kurdistan ). That's the Rawanduz River , which flows into the Big Zab River through the Bekhme Dam site, which flows into the Tigris River . In other words, launch a kayak/raft here and you can go to Baghdad . Just be mindful of the dam bypass tunnel. Hang-glider and para-glider paradise.
17. Bestoon Cave . Some say it has no end. Some say.
18. Along the way to Bedial, a lone Christian village high up in the Barzan region. Very good road up to Kani Bot, then rough road to Bedial. The ancient (a thousand years?) church at Bedial, not modernized, is a treasure. Great views all along the way. On the way, lunch at pinnacle-table rock. On the way to Kani Bot, at Zrawa bridge across the RuKuchuk, excellent, somewhat secluded swimming spot above the bridge.. Below the bridge is good fishing and picnicking under the
rees. (Gals up, guys down)
19. Near Dure looking down at the RuKuchuk. There's a wild, repeat wild, track down to the bottom to a big spring, Kani Chinar, with huge maple-like trees. Water is pumped up in three stages to communities up top. Good swimming and fishing in the river. Along the way, good chance of spotting wild goats with meter-long horns. Local custom does not allow hunting (nor fishing with grenades).
20. Along the road up from the Kahlon bridge to Bestoon Cave ?
21. Hmmm. Up above Sidakan somewhere?? Or near Kani Spi in the Choman area.
22. ??? Could be many places, of course.
23. Hmmm. Perhaps along the gorge from Shanidar up to Goratu? Or in Gali Zanta? On in the Chama area?
24. Along the gorge from Shanidar up to Goratu? Or in Gali Zanta? Or in the Chama area?
25. ??? Want to say Sami's Park but is that road or water? The narrow tracks might be those of two separate vehicles. Yes, it does snow in Erbil , every five years or so. Must be Sami's Park across from the Iraqi Kurdistan Parliament.
26. Ice water pond at 3,000 meters on the side of the (accepted) highest mountain in Iraq , Halgurd (3,700 meters).
27. Little stream flowing out of the ice water pond that irrigates high mountain patches of tomatoes and cucumbers during summer (available during July and August), up near where wildflower honey is produced (available in September).
28. In the area of the ice water pond?
30. Hmm. Looks familiar, but can't pinpoint it.
31. Between Batufa and Begova?
32. Down from the bridge across the Rawanduz River in Gali Ali Beg, where the old half-tunnel Hamilton Road on the side of the gorge begins.